Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Out of the Darkness

He walked out of the woods through the small opening between the skinny pines and thorny underbrush.  The opening was the entry to the cross country trail running behind the school.  From just a hundred yards away the opening was hidden so that when he appeared it was as if by magic. 

His name was Rudyard and he called himself a storyteller.  I asked him to tell us a story.  The guys on the team all looked at me like I was bit crazy.  They looked at this man who called himself Rudyard like he was a lot crazy! I smiled at the boys.  Rudyard smiled at me.  I knew something magical was happening.  I had no fear, no sense of gloom about this stranger suddenly appearing.

"How about if I tell you as we walk along the trail, boys?" he said as he turned to go back in the direction from which he came.

No comments:

Post a Comment